So proud of all of you! | Mountain Sledder
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Mountain Sledder | August 20, 2018

Scroll to top

6 Comments

So proud of all of you! | Mountain Sledder

Time keeps ticking, but the thoughts and emotions of this
catastrophic event remain ingrained in my mind, and I am sure all of yours as
well.  I can’t speak for all of you
who were up on Boulder on Saturday, but I know it keeps training through my
head, and each pass this train makes I seem to be able to piece something else
back into some sort of timeline.  The
mind works in mysterious ways, and I’m sure the slow pace is for the best.

As I think more and more of what exactly happened, I can’t help but feel how
proud I am of each and every one of you.  Many people think of the snowmobile community as being behind the times
as far as education goes, but if this incident isn’t an argument for the
complete opposite, I can’t imagine a better example.  The uneasy feeling of what outcome may have developed if
this same tragedy happened only years ago.  Hearing the direction that came from so many people to get
their transceivers out was a moment I can never forget.
There will always be people watching the news, and reading papers judging each
and every decision made both post and prior to the incident, but these people
were not there, and did not see what happened.  For those of you who were there, I truly believe you did the
best you could have done!
Technology played a large role in saving so many people, but let us not forget
technology is no use without the skill and dedication of everyday people saving
the lives of complete strangers in this time of need.  Education has been a big push over the past few years for
not only snowmobile governing bodies, but also general recreational backcountry
enthusiasts and it was put to the test on this day.
The companion rescue efforts were second to none, but in no way can we forget
the many professional men and women who assisted from all across, British
Columbia.  Search and Rescue teams,
ski resort staff, CARDA dogs and trainers, RCMP, cat ski and helicopter ski operators
and of course pilots among so many others who assisted in this time of need
stepped up and made a HUGE effort for strangers.
As I write this I can’t help but think of the two men who were lost last
weekend and to the many people who were injured.
Like you I would give anything to go back in time and somehow fix the events
leading up to this tragedy, but since that is not realistic I can only be left
thinking of how impressed I am with the organization and promptness that all of
you showed in your rescue efforts both professional and not.
Although words hardly seem to scratch the surface, I wish my deepest
condolences for the families who have lost, and to the many of you who were
injured.
Like I said at the start of this article, time keeps ticking, but the event
will continue to stay with us.

I wish you all the best.

Comments

BCACanada says:

Agreed that there are many positives to be taken from this tragedy….any of you who were involved might want to help out in our research of avalanche incidents…see our post in the Avalanche section of the Forum..our thoughts are with everyone who was there

Kylehimself says:

Was highmarking apart of the event? Or was everyone supposed to be riding low angle stuff?

I agree with the above comments. Leave the hate and negativity out of the discussion.

turboette says:

I was at the Big Iron shoot out. We all knew the avalanche conditions and those that didn’t should be more aware. The only terrain we rode all day was safe low angle stuff. There are always going to be people that take big risks regardless of the conditions (the people high marking) and that is their choice, just like it is your choice to choose what you eat for breakfast or how you live your life. There were a lot of people myself included that chose to stop and watch in an unsafe place and that was the only mistake we made. What happened is terrible and was scary as shit but with out the knowledge and training of everyone there not only in having the correct gear but knowing how to use it, there would have been a lot more dead. In life you have to take responsibility for your own actions and I can guarantee that everyone out at the event is not looking to point blame… We all choose to attend, we all chose to sit in an unsafe place. I hate lowering myself to respond to such a negative/ ignorant comment but after days of listening to news reports where they haven’t bothered to check facts and to people running their mouths off about something they know nothing about I have had enough. I don’t know you, nor have I ever judged you for something you have done or publicly called you on an action… all I am asking for is the same respect.

lowmark lowmark says:

You mean therealdeal=Loser

therealdeal says:

Big Iron weekend = Losers

Dave Best says:

Like Aaron, I want to thank all the people who made a positive contribution to the rescue effort – those at the event as well as those professionals who arrived and both saved lives and carried out the massive clean up.

I made the mistake tonight of reading many of the forums and online noticeboards, and hope that all those people who attended the event can manage to deal with the uneducated and ill-informed comments out there.

Like me, many people made a voluntary decision to be in Boulder that day. I made some decisions which I stand by, and fully accept that I made an error of judgement being where I was at the time of the slide.

Do I point the finger of blame at someone? No.

Do I wish I could rewrite the events of those few hours? Yes.

However, I can’t and with this in mind, all I can do is agree with Aaron in this article and pass on my thanks to those who did everything they could to make this disaster no worse than it already was.