Globalstar Releases SPOT Gen4 Satellite GPS Messenger
Satellite communications company Globalstar releases its latest consumer satellite GPS messenger device, called SPOT Gen4
The SPOT Gen4 improves over the prior generation SPOT Gen3 device with a new mapping interface, improved tracking, better water-resistance and durability, and finally, an updated design. The device complements the lineup of SPOT satellite communications devices, including the SPOT X 2-way Satellite Messenger.
– Jim Mandala, Vice President, Globalstar Canada Satellite Co.“The new SPOT Gen4 complements the SPOT family of products, providing an affordable, easy-to-use solution for outdoor recreation and adventure enthusiasts, as well as lone and remote workers who travel beyond the reach of reliable cell coverage. SPOT Gen4 is a pocket-sized, rugged device that provides users with a wide range of satellite communications functionality including enhanced tracking through a robust SPOT Mapping interface for added value and peace of mind.”
Some of the new features of the SPOT Gen4 include:
- Enhanced Design – The new Gen4 has a sleek new look with improved grip and design features that snap in place to securely cover the Help and S.O.S. buttons. It’s rugged, portable and includes a new multi-use carabiner and strap.
- Upgraded IP68 Rating – Offers increased water-resistance, up to 30 minutes at two meters in water.
- Motion Activated Tracking – SPOT Gen4 sends tracks at a chosen rate for as long as the device is turned on and moving, conserving battery life. Alerts can be set to auto send notifications to others when movement is detected or upon entry and exit of specific geographic areas in SPOT Mapping.
- Battery Life – The new Gen4 offers the longest battery life in the product category far surpassing performance of alternative battery powered GPS messengers.
- SPOT Mapping – Live and historical map views to view or share your SPOT locations for a minimum of three years. Optional upgrades available to meet user-defined mapping needs.
- Map Layers – Select from several options to view your map in light or dark mode, satellite, open street map or terrain.
- Alerts – User set and system generated for emergency or custom messages, new movement, no movement, check in and help.
- Shared View Improvement – Unlimited shared views with easy interface to share a location.
- Customized Position Icons – Ability to distinguish location points by SPOT product or user that adds a variety of in-field and remote management of resources.
- Geofencing – Allows users to create virtual geographic boundaries and set custom alerts.
SPOT provides satellite coverage in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Europe, Australia, Northern and Southern Africa, South America and North-Eastern Asia as well as hundreds of thousands of miles offshore. Globalstar says that over 7,000 rescues have been initiated globally on SPOT devices, with some 30% of those taking place in Canada.
The retail price of the SPOT Gen4 is set at $190 CAD. Monthly and annual plans are available, starting at $11.95 USD per month.
For more information on SPOT Gen4, including a complete list of retailers carrying SPOT products, visit FindMeSpot.ca